Copyright © 2009 HighProtein.com. All Rights Reserved. contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
Raw Protein vs. Whey Protein
Many of people do not know the difference between raw protein and whey protein, let alone know how to decide which one they want to purchase. However, a lot of it has to do with how your lifestyle and exercise routines are, and then this is going to help you with your decision on whether or not whey protein or raw protein is right for you. Protein, regardless of the source you get it from, is needed by your body because it is a macronutrient that should always be consumed on a daily basis. The reason why is because your body is going to deplete the amount you consume, and will then need a replacement amount to reuse and continue the cycle of keeping all of your bodily functions properly working.
The Differences and Similarities
Whey protein is the remaining 20% of protein found in milk, and the other 80% is casein protein. This type of protein is the primary source for protein supplements that are routinely purchased by fitness enthusiasts. They are supposed to have all of the essential amino acids necessary for your body to use during protein synthesis, but the downfall is that they can have high amounts of calories, carbs, and sugars. Not all protein supplements fall under this category; although a very large amount of them do. The best part about whey protein is that it does not taste that bad and has a larger amount of protein in grams than most other sources.
Then there is raw protein that is made organically from plants instead of dairy products. This type of protein is full of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients important for your digestive system and muscle tissue. Protein powders do have vitamins and minerals, but nothing close to organic raw protein. Raw protein also has all of the essential amino acids needed for protein synthesis, and usually come with an abundance of digestive enzymes specifically used for rapid digestion. Raw protein is not going to taste good because it has no flavorings being added, and the texture is going to be pretty grainy. However, raw protein has usually only half the amount of protein per serving as whey protein does, but makes up for this by being natural and chemical free without any added sugars and fats leading to excess calories.
The overall decision simply rests on what you are trying to accomplish. A bodybuilder, or somebody trying to gain a lot of muscle mass, would most likely want whey protein because they are in need of extra calories, fats, and carbs while also getting a hefty amount of protein. However, if you want to lose weight and receive the daily amount of protein then raw protein supplements would be a better choice. Then raw protein is also good for those people who follow a strict vegan diet, which means that whey protein is already not something to be consumed.
Always remember that you have to have protein in your diet regardless of what type of health and fitness regime you are on. You should also try to get most of your daily protein through solid food before switching to using protein supplements.